7+ Layer Dip, Made Vegan
One of my favorite cuisines is Mexican; more specifically, Tex Mex. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve always loved the flavour combinations of the southwest; even at tremendous personal risk (I almost choked to death on a piece of hard taco shell when I was 9; I avoided anything that wasn’t soft shell for a decade after that). This is a great snack to share with friends, a great contribution to that last minute pot luck party, an appetizer before a Mexican style dinner or just a lazy day lunch (yes, that’s right, lunch; you’ve earned it… treat yourself)..
As the years rolled by, I found I was no longer good at processing lots of the things that make Tex Mex so delicious (namely wheat and dairy). as such, in my house, wheat and dairy have been ruled out (curse you, gluten and casein!) and a decent sour cream replacement has been hard to come by. Now, I know good dairy variants can be made from cashews, but here we hit another road block: my partner has a sensitivity to cashews (and almonds to boot).
Along comes our newest best friend, the hemp heart…
After a bit of tinkering about with acids and thickeners, we finally hit upon a decent stand-in for our long lost love, sour cream. See the recipe in the link here
The beans…. ok, you could pop out to the shops and get a tin of refried beans. I could’ve, but I’m a lazy bugger and I have a few tins of black beans in the pantry. Season them up, add some liquid and mash away; guaranteed better than the pre-made stuff (don’t mistake me here: I adore refried beans, but I adore not having to leave the house more). The result, as you see is the rebirth of a tried, tested and true crowd pleaser.
As for this being vegan, one could follow this recipe and enjoy it well enough. One could also add taco beef to it; it’s one of the beauties of this dish. Myself, I live by this food rule: if it tastes good, I’ll eat it.
Being on a limited income at present due to Covid19 lockdowns, I find my grocery dollar goes much further without meat taking up half my budget. Until things normalize again, I can live off plant based proteins 5-6 days per week; especially if it can taste like this.
7+ Layer Dip
- 1 can black beans drained
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp banana pepper brine can use jalapeño brine instead
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup banana peppers chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup olives sliced
- 1.5 cups cheddar shredded
- 1.5 cups salsa
- 1 cup guacamole or mashed plain avocado
- Drain the black beans and place in a large enough bowl to allow for mashing
- Add the lime juice, pepper brine, salt, chili powder and cumin.
- Using a dough cutter or fork, mash up the lot of it to form a paste.
- Using a rubber spatula or spoon, spread it evenly into the bottom of a cake pan or casserole dish.
- Layer on the guacamole, sour cream and salsa, smoothing it out to even layers.
- Sprinkle on the peppers, tomatoes, cheese, olives and onions; garnish with the cilantro.