Yam and peanut soup is a soup I love due to its heartiness as well as its simple structure and rich flavours. Better still, it’s laughably easy to make. In the vast universe of soups, some of my favourites are the simplest; less is more at times. This soup is a great example of that.
The exact origins of this dish are nebulous at best. I’m sure if you go to Thailand or Western Africa, you may find almost identical versions of it. They both have al the ingredients easily on hand; it’d only stand to reason they’d come up with it, right?
So, the simplicity of this soup is what makes it such a delight to make. It can also be used as a base for so many other derivative soups. A mother soup, if you will…. imagine simmering this with some diced chicken, zucchini or tofu.
Now, as far as enriching this soup go, a few extra minutes ahead of time and a roasting sheet pan can change this whole dish. If you were to roast up the rough chopped vegetables to a nice caramelized level before boiling it up, the flavours would be so much deeper. As a kicker, you can wow your friends by calling it roast yam and peanut soup.
This is a good base template recipe; where you take it and how you tweak it is really up to you. As it were, I can show you the room; what colour you paint it is your choice…. Hint: a decent-sized dollop of Thai curry paste would compliment the rich smoothness of the coconut milk amazingly, don’t you think?
Hey, that’s a great idea; maybe the next batch I make will have that added dimension… I’ll definitely let you all know; sharing is caring, don’t you know….
Yam & Peanut Soup
- Soup pot, immersion blender
- 2 Tbsp peanut oil
- 3 medium sized yams rough chopped
- 2 stalks celery rough chopped
- 1 medium onion rough chopped
- 4 small or 1 medium carrots rough chopped
- 2 whole chillies rough chopped
- 2 Tbsp ginger root peeled and chopped
- 1 14oz coconut milk
- 2-3 cups stock Vegetable stock keeps this vegan, but if you like, you could use chicken stock.
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter smooth or chunky is up to you
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup peanuts rough chopped
- Heat up your soup pot and get the peanut oil up to speed.
- Add the yams, onions, celery, carrots ginger and chilies; saute it all until the onions start to sweat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the peanuts and stir it all together until it reaches a boil.
- Once it reaches the boil, drop the heat to a low medium/high simmer for about 30-45 minutes; the yams should be soft enough to squish with the mixing spoon.
- Run the immersion blender through it until uniformly smooth.
- Add the chopped peanuts and serve it up. Garnish with cilantro, if you wish.